For example, on Android below version 6.0 (Marshmallow), permissions were declared in AndroidManifest.xml, and users granted all of them during the app’s installation. To receive information from a server without polling via a series of requests, a mobile app might use push notifications. This is a better solution than constantly requesting new data, because it will not drain the battery and will use less network data. Localization (“l10n”), on the other hand, is the process of preparing the content of the app to be available in different languages. This includes translating most of the app’s resources, like texts, images, and sounds. Resources for different languages are usually kept in different files or directories, and the OS chooses the right one based on user settings.
Mobile devices have a variety of different sensors and capabilities, such as GPS and cameras, which can be used to enhance the user experience. When answering behavioral interview questions, use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to structure your responses. To help you prepare for your Mobile Developer interview, here are 30 interview questions and answer examples. Common Mobile App Developer interview questions, how to answer them, and sample answers from a certified career coach.
Questions to Ask BEFORE Hiring Mobile App Dev Candidates
Finally, it helps the interviewer determine if the developer is a good fit for the company and its mobile app development needs. Some of the challenges of developing mobile apps include https://remotemode.net/become-a-mobile-developer/ hardware fragmentation, different screen sizes and resolutions, and security issues. Mobile app developers must also keep up with rapidly changing technologies and operating systems.
- To help you prepare, we’ve compiled a list of the top 50 Android Developer interview questions for 2023, along with detailed answers.
- Security is always a very delicate subject especially when talking about mobile devices.
- This question can help the interviewer determine your level of experience with different operating systems.
- You can use this opportunity to show that you are aware of current trends in mobile app development, including what’s popular and what’s not.
- The app should be easy to use and navigate, and should provide a great user experience.
- This is where your app development candidates will start to raise their eyebrows as clients never ask such things.
There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. The finished app is built into an IPA file, which has to be signed by some certificates. Xcode helps to do it all automatically using the Distribution Certificate (DC) and the Provisioning Profile, which connects the DC to the app ID. There is a similar solution for iOS called UserDefaults (previously NSUserDefaults). Besides the negative experience, there is the loss of LTV revenue of that potential customer. This might include the installation, registration, activation and taking the first actions that will determine whether a user has adopted the app and/or product.
Q40: What is the difference between the Application and Activity contexts in Android?
They’ll also be looking for an understanding of the technologies, programming languages, and development tools you’ve used in the past and how you plan to use them for the app you’re developing. As one of your mobile app developer interview questions, you are asking applicants to establish their understanding when it comes to releasing a PWA. The process usually involves reusing select functionalities of the mobile and app web without having the need to rewrite the code from scratch. You can also ask follow-up mobile app developer interview questions, like, “Is there a similar project to what we’re building? ” Or, inquire if there are active mobile apps currently available in the App Store or Google Play that the applicant has worked on. The trouble is, if you’re not familiar with mobile app development, you might not know which questions to ask.
Developers must also take into account the number of different system versions in use (mostly on Android phones), decide which are supported, and know the differences between them. Also, the app might have some bugs on devices from different manufacturers, so it is always good to have variety of physical devices for testing or use a test-device farm. Access to a user’s data or sensors is restricted by a permissions system. That means that when the app wants to use a feature like GPS, it has to ask the user for permission and explain why this permission is necessary. One of the most popular (and free) is Firebase Crashlytics, which supports both iOS and Android. It provides a lot of useful information about app crashes like the full-stack trace, operating system version, device manufacturer, and user language.
What makes you stand out from other mobile developers?
Ask these questions during your in person or virtual video conference interview to find out if this person is right for you and your idea. That’s why large enterprises or entrepreneurs who are launching startups should very carefully consider the candidates they’re looking to hire for the job. Finding the right mobile app developer takes some time, but will be worth the search in the end.
- The difficulty lies in hiring the right mobile app developer for your project.
- Additionally, I create multiple resource folders with alternative layouts and images optimized for different screen densities, following Android’s best practices.
- To answer this question, you should explain the steps you take to localize an app.
- The developer must take care when it comes to using different services like GPS.
- Additionally, discuss any processes you have in place for incorporating user feedback into the development process.
- Even though it may seem like you have already asked enough questions, you’ll do no harm by asking more.
Talk about the roles and responsibilities that were assigned to each team member, as well as how you contributed to the project. If you don’t have any direct experience developing mobile apps with a team, discuss other collaborative projects you’ve worked on and how your skills can be applied to the development cycle for mobile applications. To answer this question, you should provide specific examples of challenges you have faced when developing mobile apps. Talk about how you identified the challenge, what steps you took to address it, and the outcome or solution you arrived at. This will demonstrate your problem-solving skills and show that you are a creative thinker who can come up with innovative solutions. Additionally, make sure to explain how these experiences have prepared you for any potential challenges in the role you’re interviewing for.
Do you have any experience working with legacy code? If so, how do you approach it differently than new code?
Before implementing any new technology, your business will need to plan accordingly, and a crucial part of that plan should be to hire a developer to cope with the implementation. Because Java shares many elements with core Android development, this should be your top priority when questioning a developer. Version control is a system for tracking changes to a codebase over time. It is important for collaboration, code review, and the ability to revert to previous versions of the code. Backward compatibility can be maintained by checking for device and OS version during runtime and providing fallback options for unsupported features. Mobile app security can be improved by implementing secure coding practices, using HTTPS for communication, encrypting data, and using multi-factor authentication.
You can talk about how you test on multiple devices, run compatibility checks, and make sure your code is efficient and secure. Explain that you understand the importance of user experience and discuss any techniques you use to improve performance or usability. Finally, mention any tools or frameworks you’ve used in the past to help with optimization. To answer this question, you should walk the interviewer through your entire process. Start by describing how you first identify the problem or need that an app can solve, then explain how you plan out the features and design of the app.
We want to make sure our apps are able to scale as our business grows. How would you go about making an app more scalable?
RESTful web services use HTTP requests for accessing and manipulating data, while SOAP web services use XML to transfer data over SOAP protocol. App monetization strategies include advertising, in-app purchases, subscriptions, and sponsored content. Developers can also offer paid versions of their apps with additional features.
- Not every “A” candidate worth hiring will be able to answer them all, nor does answering them all guarantee an “A” candidate.
- The applicant may not have all the answers, but a great applicant can prepare ahead and research your company.
- Not only will a specialist recruiter open up a wider talent pool of available candidates, but they will also have the resources to dedicate more time to your search, helping you to secure the perfect hire.
- Additionally, I ensure that UI elements are responsive by offloading computationally intensive tasks onto background threads, preventing the main thread from being blocked.
- Interviewers want to make sure you’re the type of developer who can stay on top of these changes and use the most up to date tools and techniques to create the best possible product.
This approach ensures that the app looks great on all Apple devices, including those with varying screen sizes and resolutions like iPhones and iPads. The introduction of mobile applications has changed the way businesses operate, allowing companies to connect with their customers in new ways, and deliver great service on the move. It is important for an interviewer to ask this question because it helps to understand the motivations and goals of the candidate. This information can be used to assess whether the candidate is a good fit for the position and the company. It also helps to gauge the level of commitment and passion the candidate has for mobile development. The app submission process involves creating a developer account with the app store, uploading the app, and completing app metadata such as the app name, description, and keywords.